Violent Video Games and Kids

This post is the result of a school assignment Teleri had. The original assignment was to write a "letter to the editor". She modified the assignment to be a blog post. The topic, position, and composition are her own.

Playing Video Games

I really hate it when I hear someone argue that certain video games should be banned because they are EEEEVIL. Okay, they don’t use that word, but that’s what it comes down to. They might say “kids who play video games are more violent” or “video games make kids more likely to shoot someone.” Or they might say “video games encourage kids to be loners” or “gamers have no friends in real life.” They seem to think that video games only have negative effects on the people who play them.

With all the school shootings and violence going on these days, it makes sense that some people—especially parents—are concerned about how kids are behaving. Video games, especially violent video games, didn’t exist when they were kids, and neither did all this violence. So it makes sense for them to make a connection between the two. And because they think video games are the cause of the problem, it also makes sense that they want to ban them.

The thing is, I myself am a gamer girl. I’m almost fourteen years old and I have yet to shoot someone, let alone go on a shooting spree at the mall. I’m not any more violent than I was before I started playing video games. I have many friends and have no trouble making more friends. So either I am unique among all young gamers, or the assumptions people make about games are wrong. Based on the research done on video games and the people who play them, it turns out that the latter is true.

There have been studies that seem to prove that video games make people more violent. However, much of the research that abortion help says this has been proven inconclusive, or in some cases is actually flawed. The studies that are scientifically accurate and peer-reviewed tell a different story. A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign study examined the effects of playing a violent video game and compared the results to a control group that did not play. They found that the players weren’t any more likely to argue with their friends and partners than the non-players, and they weren’t any more aggressive in general. This is the same result most studies are getting: there’s no causal relationship between violence and video games. MIT professor Henry Jenkins says “No research has found that video games are a primary factor or that violent video game play could turn an otherwise normal person into a killer.”

But what about all those shootings? Well, according to Jenkins, violent crime is actually lower than it used to be—even though 90 percent of boys and 40 percent of girls are playing video games. The reason we think there is so much violence is that we only find out about shootings because they’re covered in the news, and we hear about those relatively rare incidents a lot more than we used to. The kids who commit these crimes probably have personal or psychological issues that don’t come from playing video games; if video games didn’t exist, they might still have committed those crimes. And Jenkins also says that “researchers find that those serving time for violent crimes typically consume less media before committing their crimes than the average person in the general population” (emphasis added). So video games aren’t to be blamed for crime. (Personally, I think gamers are just too busy to commit violence; it would cut into their game-play time.)

Another claim made by video game opponents is that children can’t distinguish between fantasy and reality. In other words, a video game might teach them that it’s okay to shoot someone, so they might believe that shooting a person in real life is just a game and doesn’t really hurt them. But when you ask kids about this, they all say they know what the difference is. Game designer and play theorist Eric Zimmerman says that when people play, they enter what he calls the “magic circle,” which is how they distinguish between the game and reality. What happens while they are in the “magic circle” is always just a game, with only the smallest bit of reality to make it believable. Kids who would never hurt another person in real life have no trouble shooting bad guys in a video game, because they know it’s not real—it’s just a way of keeping score in the game.

But even people who don’t believe video games make kids more violent may still think video games have a bad influence on them. They might think that video games take up too much time and energy, or that they make kids isolated and unable to make friends or have a normal social life. If you’ve ever seen a kid staring bug-eyed at the screen while he shoots aliens, these arguments might seem valid. And it’s true that kids can spend a lot of time on the computer or the console with a favorite game. But that’s something that can be controlled by parents who are aware of their kids’ activities and work with their kids to figure out how much play time is appropriate. Just because there are games in the house, doesn’t mean that they have to play them all the time.

The other point—about gamers having a lack of social skills or being isolated—is so far from being true it’s almost funny. More than half of all gamers play their games with another real live person—often a family member. When you’re playing with another person, it’s usually as a team, and you both have to work together and strategize in order to succeed. This is the opposite of being isolated. Additionally, the hugely popular massively multiplayer online games encourage you to make friends and work with other people in order to have fun. Non-gamers often think that because you never meet these people in real life, it’s not a real friendship. But the hundreds of thousands of people who have participated in online guilds and other organizations would disagree.

What many people don’t realize as they’re focusing on these negative points is that video games can have very positive effects on players. One of these is how games encourage you to strategize and solve problems. These are skills that often come into use in real life. James Gee, author of What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, says that gamers are “active problem solvers who see mistakes as opportunities to learn and are encouraged to test new ideas.” Instead of thinking of mistakes as personal flaws, gamers often think of them as something to learn from. Another positive thing about video games is that they let children express feelings and impulses they wouldn’t be able to act on in real life. It’s better for them to work out anger by beating up a computer opponent than if they just went out and beat up a classmate who made them mad.

If you’re one of those people who think that video games are dangerous, I think you’re probably just worried about the safety of children. That’s a good thing to care about. But banning video games isn’t the way to keep kids safe. What I suggest is that you spend some time playing your kids’ favorite games. Get to know what games they like and why they like them. Your kids will think you are pretty cool if you do. You may find that there are some games that aren’t as awful as you thought just from the title or the box art. You’ll be much better informed about video games than if you just jump to conclusions. Who knows—maybe you’ll discover some games you like playing!

Technorati Tags: ,,
29. January 2008 01:35 by admin | Comments (17) | Permalink

Comments

Out of the Mouth of Babes: A Thirteen-Year Old On Games and Violence
Well, in this case, a very well-spoken thirteen-year-old girl, writing a very articulate post about video games and violence and how it affects her:
2/1/2008 3:17:54 PM #
GJ GJ
Teleri,

A very well-written post - I hope you got a good grade on it!

As for your arguments... I'm the father of three young ladies (ages 8, 5 and 3) who love spending time playing games.  ALL kinds of games.  My oldest daughter's latest obsessions are Monopoly, Risk, Minesweeper and Bookworm Adventures.  My wife and I are intimately involved in all of her games - we play Bookworm as a collaborative effort ("Oooh!  No!  You have an ES - you can spell DISESTABLISH!"), and my wife has been tutoring her on the logical thinking that Minesweeper requires.  Lots of fun all around, really Smile

I suspect that your final point strikes closes to home, and that the best correlation lies not between video games and violence, but lack of parental involvement and violence.
2/1/2008 3:41:32 PM #
Teleri, that was an excellent essay.  I know there are college students who don't write as well as you do.  You practically have me convinced of the merits of gaming.  Very well done!
2/2/2008 12:18:56 AM #
Teleri,

That was very well said.  If I didn't already believe that video games have merits I would find it difficult not to believe it now.
2/2/2008 2:16:12 AM #
Scorpia:
The article was written by a 13-year-old girl. A very intelligent, articulate gamer. Just the sort of person that all those scaremongers are supposedly trying to “protect”.
2/2/2008 3:55:51 PM #
Boy, howdy.  What I woudn't have given to have a student like Teleri in my class when I was teaching English to Sophomores and Juniors in high school. At least then I would've had an example to show them of what composition is supposed to look like.

The "emphasis added" parenthetical was a nice technical touch.  I know college students who wouldn't have thought to add that.

Very well written all around!!
2/3/2008 1:00:14 PM #
Griffin Griffin
Very good essay.  One of your points really struck me: "Instead of thinking of mistakes as personal flaws, gamers often think of them as something to learn from."  This stayed with me because that was an important part of my own childhood (I'm 28 now).  It took me years before I beat most of my NES games because I kept getting ... I don't know, discouraged?  Scared of failure?  It's hard to describe, but in most of my games, there came a point where I kind of got stalled and gave up.

Your point was the lesson I eventually learned, that if I kept at it and didn't worry about failing or suffering setbacks, I could overcome the obstacle.  Looking back, it was probably an important part of growing up for me, and yes, it came largely through video games.
2/3/2008 5:34:00 PM #
My 9-year-old read this and felt compelled to add that gamers usually have better imaginations, because their minds are open to so many possibilities.
2/11/2008 10:20:27 PM #
WOW!  Very well written Teleri!  You have obviously inherited your parents' intelligence and dry wit.  "I'm 14 and I've yet to shoot someone" is SO Proffitt.

All the best!

-Tyler Pearson
3/3/2008 11:32:13 PM #
Rowan Rowan
Holy moly, TelTel! This has to be the best-written essay I have ever seen! 8D

I found myself agreeing to every point made, and gawking at how intelligently it was written out. I mean, I could have never done something so, simply put, amazing.

You never cease to amaze me, my good friend. :3
4/5/2008 10:01:47 AM #
poopooweewee poopooweewee
I bet a 50 yeard old wrote this, impossible for a 13 year old to know some of those words
8/11/2008 2:50:57 AM #
She's 14 now, but I agree that her vocabulary is advanced. But then, most of our kids have large vocabularies. It's likely an artifact of both parents having degrees in English coupled with both of us talking a lot. Exacerbated, of course, by Teleri's own love of reading...
8/11/2008 7:07:28 PM #
A Ganer With A Life A Ganer With A Life
I think that what you said really shows what gaming really is. Parents just look at all the negative and unconfirmed tests about gaming and make asumptions without knowledge of what gaming really is. It is just a game that kids play! Football is a violent sport and so is hockey. You dont hear about people playing those sports and becoming angry and violent. You only hear about gaming because it is new and is told negatively by people who didnt grow up with it and have no knowledge of what it is. Violence is everywhere and you will probally find more of it in schools. It is just a pastime that people love to play but is so misunderstood.
10/13/2008 7:53:01 PM #
Aravky Aravky
There's nothing like a nice game of Combat Arms or Mortal Kombat to help get rid of unwanted stress from school life. I'm sixteen and I couldn't agree more with you Teleri. Parents are just looking for something to place the blame on, other than themselves. Parents often are so irresponsible when dealing with their children. People are more concerned about games like Halo when a game like Playboy: The Mansion is on the market. I dunno about you, but I think the Playboy game is much worse. Parents freak out about there being games with some suggestive themes, when there are games that totally revolve around sex out there!
3/25/2009 1:58:48 PM #
Jay Jay
Dang, that is one impressive essay. Im a senior in college and our DE english teacher is still trying to teach us to write like that. Yes video games are a great way to relieve stress and should not be judged by others that do not even play them. If anything, i wish my parents had gotten into playing video games with me so they could see how the weight of the world can be lifted off their shoulders when they get into a game thats fun. I also made many friends, in real life, by playing video games. Once gamers get to talking about what type of games they like it can lead to long conversations and people would get to know one another. So in my opinion, video games are very awesome :-p
3/27/2009 11:16:25 AM #
Aravky Senturian Aravky Senturian
Back again. I just thought of something. If violent video games make people more aggressive, then what does hunting do? What happens when we go paintballing? Or a watergun fight? All of those activities can hint to some sort of violence, actively shooting at another living creature. In a video game, you only kill pixels.
4/7/2009 11:14:06 AM #
@Arkavy, yeah. Plus, those activities develop skills that would actually be useful--like aiming. Still, that's not an argument I'd rely on. The obvious response is to make those activities illegal as well.
4/7/2009 10:19:45 PM #

Calendar

<<  September 2017  >>
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
2345678

View posts in large calendar